Cacao Essential Oil Benefits
Cacao is the primary component that makes the sweet treat we all know and love, but did you know that chocolate essential oil has actual benefits too? Cacao is rich with antioxidants and as an essential oil it has beneficial topical uses.
Read on to learn more about this delectable essential oil and its benefits.
What is cacao?
Cacao dates back 4,000 years ago, and was consumed by pre-Columbian cultures. It is derived from the seeds, known as cacao beans, that come from the pods of the Theobroma cacao fruit tree.
Today, it is known as a superfood as it contains more antioxidants than blueberries. Cacao also contains fiber, magnesium, protein, and a significant amount of flavonoids, which are rich in antioxidant activity and supports the body to rid off everyday toxins. It also happens to be the highest plant-based source of iron.
What are Cacao Essential Oil Benefits?
1. Cosmetic: Cacao essential oil of course has aromatic notes like a fine dark chocolate (yum), and is commonly used in perfumes, decadent soaps, lotions, and make-up.
Benefitting skincare is one of cacao's most impressive qualities. This EO is blessed with antioxidant and nourishing properties, it acts against the aging process by protecting and repairing the skin from damage and premature aging. The natural oil within the cacao seed contains omega-6 fatty acids boosting skin rejuvenation and collagen production. Studies have also shown that cacao essential oil has great potential as a treatment for skin diseases such as skin cancer, psoriasis, acne, and wound healing.
2. Aromatherapy: Aromatically, cacao is actually very calming to the body and mind. Another potential benefit of smelling the aroma of cacao EO is reduced food cravings. This is because the familiar smell of chocolate may trick the body into reaching satiety by deceiving the body and thinking that it is full.
It is also no surprise that cacao is also highly regarded as an aphrodisiac. It works by stimulating the brain and sexual organs, increasing libido and blood flow. If you want to learn more about other aphrodisiac essential oils you can read our previous blog on best essential oils for female stimulation.
In aromatherapy use, cacao essential oil incites pleasure whether in times of stress or during times of intimacy. This EO has similar qualities to the MOXĒ Love Inhaler, which uplifts the spirit and inspires sensual creativity.
To have a little fun with cacao essential oil, try mixing 2-3 drops in a carrier oil and giving a relaxing massage to your partner.
DIY Cacao Body Oil Recipe
Create your own hydrating body oil with sweet chocolate notes with this simple recipe below. If your skin is prone to acne, refrain from using on face.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin coconut oil
- 3/4 cup cocoa butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 15-30 drops of 100% pure cacao essential oil
- Place ingredients in microwavable bowl
- Pour ingredients in a bowl with a tight lid
- Shake vigorously a few times with lid closed
- Apply mixture to skin when cooled at room temperature
You can see that cacao can do so much more than create delicious chocolate. Cacao's scientific name in Greek is "food of the gods" and it truly seems fitting for this essential oil. Today it is accessible in so many forms and keeps growing in popularity.
Adding this essential oil to your collection will become a forever staple in your life, whether it's for its aromatherapy benefits or for its proven antioxidant skincare and anti-aging benefits, cacao will make a great addition into your current routine.