Essential Oils for Detoxification
Society focuses so much on their external appearance and upkeep that they forget the importance of taking care of what's beneath the surface. An amazing way to benefit the body's health is through detoxification (cleansing the gut).
Detoxifying your body can be done through many methods, reading further you will learn how to use essential oils for detoxification.
Why is Detoxification Important?
Did you know that your body is currently detoxifying while you are reading this?
Your body should be praised because it works hard to eliminate any harmful chemical compounds or toxins that involves the liver, kidneys, digestive system, skin and lungs.
Although the body naturally detoxifies, this process can be compromised if the body is not given the right nutrients or not taken care of properly.
Hopkins Medical Group provides these 5 major reasons you're due for a detox:
1. Fatigue: Consistent grogginess after a normal night of sleep. This could signal that the body is constantly working overtime to correct itself, which can cause persistent fatigue.
2. Infrequent bowel movements: Infrequency or constipation is dangerous because the toxins in your body stay longer than they should. These toxins can be reabsorbed into circulation instead of excreting through the bowels.
3. Inability to lose weight: If your midsection is growing, even after consistent eating and exercise, it could signal that what is coming into your body has surpassed what your body can use and efficiently move out.
4. Skin issues: If your liver is unable to eliminate toxins through bowel movements, then it will find alternate methods to get rid of them. One of these ways is via the skin, which will try to eliminate toxins through sweating or through unpleasant skin reactions like rashes, rosacea, and eczema.
5. Gallbladder problems: Issues with this organ can definitely be a sign your body is out of whack. Poor digestion or pain on the right side of your body after eating can all be major tell-tale signs.
Methods of Detoxification Using Essential Oils
Before using any methods mentioned, please always talk or consult with your doctor before using essential oils for detoxing.
Daily inhalation: This is my go-to method as it is extremely convenient! Breathing in these recommended essential oils below may help fight free radical toxicity within the body.
Making your own topical applications: Switching some of your drugstore products out for homemade topical creations may prevent toxins that are in some of the conventional products you purchase.
Essential Oils for Detoxification
1. Rosemary: Rosemary essential oil I like to call my gal pal. This EO has a range of benefits that include powerful antimicrobial, antibacterial, antiviral, and detoxifying properties.
Inhaling rosemary oil can boost the immune system by stimulating internal antioxidant activity. This process may help the body fight illnesses and diseases caused by free radicals.
This superstar EO further detoxifies by promoting healthy digestion, relieving bloating and craps, and constipation relief.
2. Lemon: Lemonade is a really fitting word for how lemon is an aid with regards to its purifying benefits. Using lemon essential oil can help to soothe digestive problems. A study found that a control group of elderly patients given an abdominal massage using a blend containing lemon showed significant improvement in constipation versus those in the control group.
Lemon EO also promotes detoxification through the blood and liver and it also stimulates lymphatic drainage, which helps to remove bodily waste.
3. Peppermint: Has anyone given you peppermint tea when you had an upset stomach? Well, that's because the plant contains menthol, an organic compound that naturally alleviates discomfort.
Peppermint has been documented back to 1,000 B.C. and this herb is still highly regarded for soothing digestion. Inhaling peppermint oil helps to relax the stomach muscles, which relieves any flatulence or bloating. Making this the perfect option when needing any digestive detoxification.
4. Grapefruit: A superstar EO for detoxification, this baby works as a natural antibacterial agent to the body by helping to reduce or eliminate harmful strains of bacteria that enter the body through contaminated foods, water, or parasites. It was demonstrated that grapefruit can even fight bacterial strains from food-born illnesses, including E. Coli and salmonella.
Another benefit of grapefruit oil is its ability to boost weight loss. Grapefruit can be really effective for shedding any excess water weight as it helps reboot a sluggish lymphatic system.
Looking for an on-the-go product made up of detoxifying essential oils? The MOXĒ Energy Nasal Inhaler is the perfect solution, containing the oils grapefruit and spearmint.
5. Juniper Berry: There are many studies that show juniper berries to be packed with antioxidant and antibacterial benefits, and they do the job detoxifying the body from waste and acidic toxins.
Regarding kidney health, this magical essential oil may increase the rate of kidney filtration, helping to wash out excess bacteria. This helps to smooth the process of digestion, which helps the body eliminate any gas or cramping.
6. Eucalyptus: Detoxification of the lungs is important if feeling congested or struggling with a cough. A clinical study showed that inhaling eucalyptus for at least five minutes resulted in a cooling sensation and showed increased nasal airflow for people with an upper respiratory infection.
You can look into using a eucalyptus essential oil shower spray that you spritz directly into the shower stream, which may help to release mucus out of your chest.
7. Fennel: This essential oil has diaphoretic properties that stimulates perspiration and increases urination, this helps the body remove toxins and also reduces urinary tract issues. What's flushed out of the body is excess water, salts, uric acid, urea, bile and other unwanted lingering substances.
The seeds in fennel are also very useful at removing toxins and sludge from the body, this process purifies the blood and lowers blood pressure levels.
Other Considerations When Detoxing
Essential oils are not the sole factor when considering to detox.
It is crucial when doing a detoxification to:
- Completely stop smoking or drinking
- Avoid caffeine consumption as much as possible
- Staying hydrated
- Eat a nutrient-dense diet
- Get enough adequate sleep
- Improving air quality in home
Aromatherapy might solely come to mind with essential oils, but they also have benefits supporting the detoxification process. Many pure essentials support many different parts of the body like the liver, lungs, kidneys, and lymphatic system.
Remember, do not start this process without speaking to a practitioner and always do your research when buying pure essential oils.